Thursday, April 22, 2010

Daycare

Who knew daycare could cost so much, make me stress, or ask if I'd like to be put on a waiting list?


After accepting my new job-Kevin and I started to think of where we'd put Tristin. I want him to be in a place with loving teachers and kids he can grow with, all while being safe and home-like.

Who would have thought Kevin and I would disagree on this topic? Kevin" Why can't we just put him anywhere?" Me"I'm not going to put him in a daycare that Jo Blow goes to who gives him lice, or where his playground is the hwyway." (really a place Kevin was considering)

So I sent Kevin who took our neighbor on a daycare hunt.
First Stop Primrose....

The boys were greeted with a smile and energetic director eager to sell their program and daycare. The boys stayed 45 min. They saw every room and learned about the academic program they use. By the time they are in Kindergarten they are all reading on a 2nd grade reading level. This daycare is more of a school than play time. I loved everything Kevin had to tell me about it. After he visited this daycare he was sold and understood why we couldn't just put Tristin anywhere. I was excited and asked for the price. He gave me a smirk and softly uttered one thousand fifty dollars. DID YOU READ THAT???? $1,050!!!!! I nearly fell off of our kitchen stool.

I then asked about the next school they visited.
The Children’s Courtyard

This was the second stop. The stop the boys felt awkward at and glad to have a non energetic guide. They spent about 5 minutes at the daycare. They took a short walk to the infant room aka kennel (beds were stacked on top of each other). They were then asked how old THEIR son was.....HAHAHAHA!! They looked at one another and said...O NO!!! They did get the price and when he told me this one...I really did have to stand up...1,070!!! WHO PAYS THIS MUCH? Who can afford this?

I become really worried we weren't going to be able to afford daycare. Kevin and I are looking to save up this year to prepare for a new car payment in the future. It didn't seem like this was going to even be a thought.
Well, today I went to sign my papers at AISD. I asked about daycare at AISD schools and received a few numbers. AISD used to have daycare just for their employees. They have now opened it up for the community-but space is VERY limited. I was wary about putting him in a school that I hadn't checked out or that might not be as loving. I took the plunge and called the elementary that will be a mile down the road from me, that is also in a VERY VERY nice neighborhood. The director answered my phone call in a happy, bouncy, and energetic voice. I explained that I would be new to AISD and she replied with "we have one spot open in the infant room". I very quickly asked what I needed to do to take this spot. She very kindly said she'd put me down for the last vacancy if I'd come by within the next few days to officially reserve the spot.
I was nervous since I haven't seen the school, but have heard it’s wonderful. The director sounded wonderful and well-I feel on top of the world now. What is even better...it cost 680!!!!! I LOVE IT ALREADY!! HAHAHA!! He will be in a class of 6 boys and 1 girl. We will get to go visit it tomorrow afternoon, and sign him up. I'm so excited. YEA Kiker Elementary for having such a wonderful, welcoming, affordable daycare.

4 comments:

cheri said...

Yee haw!!!! God has certainly answered your prayers! I'll call asap when I wake up! I had calls from you and from Barbara and a text from Hillary when I checked my phone at 11:00 tonight....that was my first chance to even look at it! I was a little worried! Hill sent a cute picture of Miss Maddie...

Mary said...

oh i know how you feel! try pricing daycares in the woodlands! we had several at $1200+!! that is why jake stayed with a friend :) i hope this new school works out (the cost surely does!) praying for you girl

ajphillips said...

I understand, we've been on a waiting list for 2 days a week care for probably 9 months now. And there won't be an opening for another 9 months....talking about having to prepare way in advance!

carrie said...

Dang! I'm glad I'm out of the daycare stage! I had to pay for 3 kids in for a while and thought I was going to die. Good luck!